Welcome to the internet's favorite "family safe" blog

Double clicking on a photo will give you an enlarged view

Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

Mexico Trip Part I

Sometime in October of ’09, our daughter Brenda called and asked if we would be interested in taking a trip to Los Cabos, Mexico to stay in a time share there for a week. The offer would be good for the last week in January 2010. She explained that she had been awarded just such a trip by bidding on it on a Rotary benefit auction at Coeur d’Alene where she lives.

Eve asked me how I felt. To be honest, it caught me cold. I like my home. I have no big problem with winter. There would be lots of details to work out; travel arrangements, taking care of our home while gone, planning for foreign travel, what would we do there, what would be the other costs of the stay, etc.

With time, I eased into the decision that this would be an interesting adventure at least or a fun time at most. So we told Brenda we would gladly accept. Eve immediately put on her travel agent hat and began to check out websites onCabo San Lucas. Where is it? What is it like? What is the weather like? What is the time share like? What about flights schedules, cost of airline tickets and all the baggage and security restrictions? The money exchange? What is there to see and do? This is Eve’s bag. Besides the internet she checked out books from the library. Eve is no stranger to planning trips. We had experience going to Alaska, Iceland, the Northeastern and Northwestern US, South Carolina, Florida, and California. No one is more prepared to travel than Eve. I just get out of the way and tag along.

The Big Day

(Well, actually the day before the big day.) We started out for Minneapolis where we would stay in a motel over night. We would be able to leave our car there for the week and take a cab to the airport. We had just packed the car with 2 large suitcases each and our carry-ons. We had even packed winter clothes suitable to dig our car out of a snowdrift when we returned to Minneapolis. We had said good bye to Patches the cat and assured her that Gary Smith, our neighbor would make sure her litter box was emptied and her food and water supplies were filled. About 3 miles into this amazing journey we wondered if we had closed the garage door. Thank the Lord for the cell phone with which we were able to call Smiths and asked them to check it out.

About 5 pm we arrived at the motel near the airport. After passing the well-hidden entrances at least 3 times in the winter darkness on a very busy intersection, we landed at the registration desk. We ordered out for pizza as we were tired and we feared that we may not find our way back to the motel if we ventured out. Arrangements were made for a cab to pick us up in the morning at 4:45 to take us to the airport for our 8:30 flight. Going through the ticket counter and the security check is always a stressful time for country folk. There were a lot of people in the airport at that hour going through the same thing. One of my favorite thing is watching all the other people – all kinds. I always wonder where they are going and why. Lots of stories there.

We had time before going to our bording gate to stop by the currency exhange and trade for some pesos. We were the only customers there at the time and the young lady there was very helpful and made the process easy. It took me most of the trip to grasp how to convert between dollars and pesos. We then found a place to sit and wait for our flight.

next On Our Way

No comments:

Post a Comment